Gallery

Video Tour


Features

The Light House - 2 Sold, 93 Cumberland Now Available!
 

Welcome to THE LIGHT HOUSE, four distinctive, luxury townhomes in the heart of Dolores Heights. The Light House offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity to live in the historic center of San Francisco, with world-class culinary options nearby, Dolores Park as your front yard and a place to call home that is as unique as you are.
 
Formerly a church, The Light House is a magnificent extension of the vision of architect William H. Crim, who created this neoclassical style building, with its elegant arched entry porticos, Tuscan columns, and soaring 30 foot cathedral ceilings. 
 
This incredible building consists of four amazing and truly stunning units of a remarkable scale, at over 5,000 sq. ft. each, unlike anything available in today’s real estate market.  These are the perfect homes for the discerning, cosmopolitan buyer who seeks to have privacy, a magnificent luxury home and immediate access to the best of world-class San Francisco.
 
93 Cumberland Street ~ 8 rooms/4+ bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms & 1+ car independent parking - Unit features windows on both Cumberland and overlooking the private park. 
Available Nov 1, 2016  - Price: $6,149,000
 
651 Dolores Street ~ 8 rooms/3+ bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms & 1+ car independent parking
SOLD: – Price: $6,495,000

653 Dolores Street ~ 8 rooms/3+ bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms & 1+ car independent parking - this unit faces south and is filled with light. It also looks out into the building's lovely private park for added privacy. 
SOLD: – Price: $6,100,000 
 
655 Dolores Street ~ 4 rooms/2+ bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms & 2 car independent parking
Reserved for ownership by developer – Not available for sale.
 
93 Cumberland Features ~
  • Custom built, three level townhome with its own address
  • This amazing unit has an 8 room, flexible floor plan with 4+ bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms and 1 half bath and a private entrance off Cumberland.  There are many unique, original features that have been preserved and in some cases repurposed from the original building.
  • The entrance to this amazing home is understated and private, entering into the structure from Cumberland Street.  There is a small foyer and beautiful, original fir staircase leading up to the main level or down to the lower level.  
  • Off the first landing one walks through a small club room and into the breathtaking open great room with its soaring 30 foot ceilings.  The room spans across the entire width of the building with enormous, custom rebuilt teak windows looking out into the trees of Cumberland, and on the other side, south into the building's private park.  The kitchen is centered in the room below the original carved wooden screen that once hid the church's pipe organ.
  • The Chef’s Kitchen kitchen features Polylac-encased (a new European scratch-resistant material containing recycled glass) custom cabinetry and has high-end Miele stainless steel appliances and honed granite counters.
  • A separate island/counter was designed and built by the seller on a custom steel structure that is moveable and using orginal building timber for the surface. 
  • Juno LED track lighting featuring custom-designed track system made of recycled timber and suspension steel cables in the living/great room.
  • Energy-efficient LED lighting throughout the entire townhome.  
  • French-made LeGrange Adorne lighting controls components throughout.
  • Bathrooms feature original exposed brick walls or concrete buttress, historic see-through ceiling skylights, grey limestone slabs/tiles/counters, with custom-polished river-stone, granite or black glass sinks.
  • The Master bedroom has 18 foot ceilings and an exposed brick wall and looks out south into the private park.  The Master closet is also 18 feet high and has a ladder to access the upper levels. 
  • The Master bathroom features custom-made limestone Roman tub and a separate glass-clad walk-in shower.
  • The second bedroom on the upper level has two rooms, exposed brick, a large skylight and partial views of Downtown. 
  • The third bedroom is on the main living level and features more exposed brick, high ceilings and a quiet view to the south into the private park. There is a dedicated full bath as well as another half bath on this level. 
  • The first room on the ground floor can be used as one huge bedroom or divided into multiple bedrooms or other uses.
  • There is also a very spacious laundry room, with washer dryer, which could double as a work out area or have other uses.  
  • The ground floor also features a full bath with open shower and gstunning black, glass sink.
  • The first and second floors feature custom stained cement floors. The halls, stairs and upper bedrooms feature original fir floors
  • There are ample closets and storage rooms within the townhome.  
  • Amazing arched alcove windows with original art-glass finishes.
  • Reuse of almost every architectural element; doors, windows, lumber, etc.
  • Exposed structural steel throughout
  • Shared Zen garden, featuring seating benches, organic vegetable garden, custom-designed sculptures, brick paving (recycled from building), birdhouses (made from recycled vent piping found in building), and new landscaping.
  • There is a large deeded parking space (possibly big enough for two smaller cars in tandem) and ample bicycle parking in the garage with 12-foot high ceilings.  Potential for electric vehicle charging station within parking area.  Direct access from garage into each unit.
  • Located in historic and highly desirable Dolores Heights/Mission Dolores, directly across from the magnificent and recently renovated amenities of Dolores Park.
  • Property is within one of the culinary epicenters of the City.
  • It is an easy walk to half a dozen different distinct neighborhoods from the Mission to the Castro, Upper Market, Noe Valley and more.  

 

         Structural and Architectural Notes ~

  • Building was originally built with large concrete foundations and a steel-frame super structure (using original Carnegie steel), with brick surrounding walls, concrete buttresses, and timber floor and roof diaphragms (all old-growth timber, the main floor made of real 2"x16” joists)... classic quality! 
  • Major seismic retrofit based on current engineering codes (plans available for viewing). The seismic retrofit included roof/floors anchoring to the exterior walls, all roof/floor diaphragm reinforcement with structural steel/wood, 42-feet deep micro-piles (using German SAS Stressteel specialty rolled-steel rods), and 8 lines of 45-feet tall steel frames, amongst other elements.
  • Townhomes are equipped with substantial double-wall soundproofing and thermal insulation feature (double 2x8 walls with 2-inch air gap, filled with sound and thermal insulation, with two layers of drywall on each side). 
  • Custom-engineered high-capacity invisible recirculating fan to keep uniform temperature for the 30-foot main living and master loft areas, as well as extra thermal insulation between each of four floors within unit itself, maintaining comfortable temperature at each separate level.
  • Many original and historic architectural features, such as original exposed steel/brick/concrete/timber elements, two 15-foot tall arched original stained-glass windows (fitted with central mahogany operable panels), wainscoting, light fixtures, arched plaster ceilings, original building timber paneling and historic window within living room walls, original ceiling skylights, double-sash windows and doors, etc. 
  • Structural Design - Siamak Akhavan and HCSE Structural Engineers
  • Architectural Design -  Siamak Akhavan and Modyfier 
  • Staging - Arthur McLauglin and Team - Thanks you did an amazing job!
Note: Building was conceived, designed, and built by and for the developers, meaning every care was taken to create a near flawless design and construction. Developers will live in building for the foreseeable future, and maintain involvement in its maintenance and operation.
 
Showings by private appointment only with listing agents.
 Continue to visit web-site to monitor our progress and contact us with questions. Direct Line 415.321.4329
 
Photos and Videos are currently of units 651 and 653 Dolores. Pictures of 93 Cumberland will be posted as soon as available in early November.    
 
 
 

 



3D Virtual Tour


Dolores Park, Dolores Heights/Liberty Hill
and Mission Dolores


This exceptional property sits at the apex of these vibrant neighborhoods as well as within an easy walk to Noe Valley, The Castro, the Valencia/Guerrero Corridor and the Mission. 


Dolores Park

Right across the street is Dolores Park.  Dolores Park is named for Miguel Hidalgo (El Grito de Dolores), the father of Mexican independence, and the town of Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, Mexico. As a priest in Dolores, it was Hidalgo's ringing of the town's church bell and public cry for freedom that sparked the Mexican revolution. A statue of Hidalgo and replica of the church bell at Dolores Hidalgo were erected in the park to honor the father of the Mexican independence movement, and the town where it all began. In recent years, the park has been frequently and incorrectly referred to as "Mission Dolores Park". The confusion probably stems from the assumptions of many romanticists, that based upon its former and current names of "Mission" and "Dolores" suggests it must've been named after Mission Dolores two blocks to the north.  Native Americans of the Chutchui village of the Yelamu tribe inhabited the area prior to the arrival of Spanish missionaries during the late 18th century.

The park site consists of two plots, Mission Blocks #86 and #87, formerly owned by Congregation Sherith Israel and Congregation Emanu-El and was used as a Jewish cemetery, which became inactive in 1894.[1] The cemetery was moved to San Mateo Countywhen San Francisco land became too valuable for the dead and burial within the city limits was prohibited. The graves were moved to Colma (via Southern Pacific railroad), where they still rest today at Hills of Eternity and Home of Peace Cemeteries.

In 1905, the City of San Francisco bought the land of Dolores Park for $291,350 (equivalent to about $4 million in 2004).[2] In 1906-07, the park served as a refugee camp for more than 1600 families made homeless by the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire.[3] Camp life after the earthquake ended in the summer of 1908. Some people kept their temporary shacks as houses and a few still survive today scattered across western San Francisco. In 1917, the J-Church streetcar line, which runs alonge one side of the park, began service. 

In recent years the Park has been the center for the neighborhood hosting festivals, concerts, plays, outdoor movies, political rallies and lots and lots of sunny (and not so sunny) day picnics for local residents.  In fact, you can even order food on your phone delivered from a number of nearby eateries right into the park. The park has also gone through an extensive renovation over the last few years including the Helen Diller Playground, new tennis courts, landscaping and more.  
 


Dolores Heights and Liberty Hill 

Both names are applied to the area just uphill to the south of the Light House and Dolores Park.  This area, like the park has a rich history and in recent years has become home to many of the City’s Tech entrepreneurs, artists and families.  Known for the magnificent Victorians that dot the hill and enjoy spectacular views of Downtown, quite a few of these homes predate the 1906 quake and fire, which was stopped at 20th Street.  This area has become so popular due to its easy access both to Downtown and to the Peninsula.  It shares in some of the best weather in the City.  The walkability factor of this neighborhood is also impressive.  In just a short stroll one can enjoy the cafes and shops of Valencia Street, Noe Valley, The Mission, Upper Market and the Castro.  And with the J Church lines running along the opposite side of the Park, Downtown is just minutes away.
 


Mission Dolores

One of the oldest parts of San Francisco, this area gets its name from the Spanish Mission founded in June 29, 1776. Prior to the 1906 Earthquake, a large part of this area was farm land with a neighborhood of Victorians that were being built on the hill above what is now Dolores Park.  A fire hydrant on the corner of Church and 20th Street was the first working hydrant during the 1906 fire is painted gold each year to commemorate how it helped to stop the fire there. As a result the top of the Dolores Heights still has many Victorians from the 1890’s and occasionally earlier. 

For many years this area was where the where the Mission and Castro neighborhoods bet.  Mission High, across from Dolores Park, has had many well known graduates, including Carlos Santana. 
Mission Dolores Sunny, flat, and centrally located, Mission Dolores represents the heart and soul of San Francisco. Attractive to people of all walks of life, the neighborhood is a melting pot, with taquerias and panaderias, pop-up galleries, block-long live/work lofts in former canneries, and chefs determined to make their mark.  The oldest building in San Francisco, Mission Dolores, was founded in 1776, and it still stands at 16th Street and Dolores Street. It is open to visitors as well as those attending its services. Public transportation is great; numerous Muni light-rail and bus lines crisscross the neighborhoods, and there are two BART stations within walking distance. With the rise of the dot-com companies in the 1990s, the old industrial warehouses of the Mission District were converted into open-air, floor-through workspaces.

These attracted a new kind of immigrant population: educated, highly skilled, and eager for the next big thing, be it entertainment, dining, or culture. They wanted to be able to walk to work or ride their bike.  Housing was developed to match the taste and needs of this generation of newcomers. Many of the old warehouses preserved their old brick facades. Mission Dolores homes for sale include those with luxury interiors featuring exposed brick walls, huge-timbered beams, two-story-high living rooms with airy ceilings, and industrial kitchens as well as many lovingly restored Victorians.  



History



History of 651 Dolores Street
 
651 Dolores Street, Originally the "Second Church of Christ Scientist" Building
 
As its name suggests, the Second Church of Christ, Scientist (SCCS) was the second Christian Science congregation established in San Francisco (the first being founded in 1899). The congregation acquired the lot at the southeast corner of Dolores and Cumberland streets in 1914.  The site was chosen because of its scenic location across from Dolores Park. Architecture was very important to Christian Scientists, who believed that their churches should improve the spiritual and aesthetic life of the community at large. In 1915, the congregation hired architect William H. Crim to design the new church. Crim designed a Neoclassical-style building with a temple-like portico. Most Christian Scientist churches of this era were designed in a similar Neoclassical style, with either a central dome or light court designed to illuminate the interior sanctuary, echoing the design of the denomination's “Mother Church” in Boston. Construction of the SCCS building got underway in 1916 and the church was completed in 1917.  Through the better part of a century the congregation made few changes to the Second Church of Christ, Scientist aside from building a parking lot on the adjoining garden in 1981 (now restored) and constructing a pedestrian bridge between the church and the former garden in 1982. In 2006, the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection ordered the congregation to retrofit the church to comply with contemporary seismic codes or demolish it. Facing a $5 million price tag for the work, the congregation applied for a permit to demolish the building and redevelop the site with a smaller church and a residential condominium building. Confronted with significant neighborhood opposition, the congregation sold the property to the current ownership in 2011. The building was converted to residential use in 2013-14.
 
Significance:
The former SCCS building is eligible for listing in the California Register of Historical Resources as a contributor to the Inner Mission North Boulevards and Alleys Reconstruction Historic District. The period of significance for the district is 1906-1917, reflecting the period in which this part of the Mission District was reconstructed following the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. During this period, dozens of religious congregations, many of which had been displaced by the catastrophe from the South of Market Area, built new churches and synagogues in the Mission District to be closer to their congregants, many of whom had relocated to the relatively
undamaged part of the city south of 20th Street. Indeed, most of the Mission District south of 20th Street was saved from the conflagration by the famous “Golden Fire Hydrant,” at the southwest corner of Dolores Park. Constructed in 1916-17, the former SCCS building is significant as one of approximately one dozen historic religious assembly buildings constructed along Dolores Street, between 15th and 20th streets, after the 1906 Earthquake. Dolores Street, with its scenic palm-lined median, became a popular location for churches, synagogues, and other religious institutions during the post-quake period, in particular the two blocks facing Dolores Park. The SCCS building is also eligible for listing in the California Register as an excellent example of a Christian Scientist church designed in the Neoclassical style.

 


Architecture



Architectural Profile
 
In 1915, the congregation hired architect William H. Crim to design the new church. Crim designed a Neoclassical-style building with a temple-like portico with a central dome designed to illuminate the interior sanctuary, echoing the design of the denomination's “Mother Church” in Boston. The former SCCS building is a one-story-over-basement, steel-frame, concrete and brick building, with a partial interior mezzanine. The building has three ornamented façades: the primary (west) façade, which faces Dolores Street; the secondary (north) façade, which faces Cumberland Street; and the tertiary (south) façade, which faces the garden. The exterior is finished in smooth cement plaster with stone steps and ornamental metal detailing, lettering, and light fixtures. The primary entrance, which faces Dolores Street, is sheltered within a three-arched portico supported by four Tuscan columns. The north, south, and, west façades are each composed in a similar tripartite scheme consisting of a rusticated base, smooth cement plaster-finished shaft defined by Tuscan pilasters and a bold “capital” consisting of a simple entablature, denticulate cornice, and raised attic frieze. Capping the roof is an octagonal drum surmounted by a slate-clad, hemispherical dome.
 


Schedule

Open Houses:
By Appointment Only - There will be no general open homes. Please contact us or have your broker do so for an appointment.  Thank you.  

Brokers Tour:
As scheduled on SFAR MLS.

Additional Showings by Appointment:
Contact either John Woodruff or Marcus Miller
415.321.4329
wm@hill-co.com

Press

October 10, 2016 - "Coming Towards the Light" Article from Habitat:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/Habitat/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=HSFCH%2F2016%2F10%2F02&entity=Ar06801&sk=9E02673D

 

April 22, 2016 - From SFGATE about the first Sale:

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2016/04/22/church-turned-luxury-townhome-across-from-dolores-park-sells-for-6-495-million/

March 29, 2016 - UpOut.com by Kelly Bonner
"Here’s What It Looks Like Inside the Dome Across the Street From Dolores Park":
http://www.upout.com/blog/san-francisco-3/heres-looks-like-inside-dome-across-street-dolores-park


March 14, 2016 - We have a lovely article on the Dome Unit in Curbed's House Calls:
http://sf.curbed.com/2016/3/14/11223624/lighthouse-penthouse

 

February 25, 2016 - CurbedSF writes again:  http://sf.curbed.com/2016/2/25/11114234/light-house-townhouses-ready-for-market

 

January 5, 2016 -  SFGate writes about The Light House
http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2016/01/05/church-across-from-dolores-park-reborn-as-town-homes/#photo-724524

 

December 15, 2015 - Article in Curbed SF about our amazing project. http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2015/12/15/dolores_park_church_born_again_as_heavenly_townhouses.php

 

First Press Release -
San Francisco, CA – December 12, 2015 – Hill & Co. Real Estate’s agent team John Woodruff and Marcus Miller are thrilled to announce the opening of The Light House; a collection of four unique luxury townhomes in Dolores Heights from the same development team that completed the Castle on the Park (601 Dolores Street) church renovation in 2009.
 
The new one-of-a-kind townhome complex is part of another church redesign, this time the Second Church of Christ Science at 651 Dolores Street. Formerly a neoclassical church, The Light House is a work of art in its form, architectural details and soaring ceilings. The townhome complex consists of four amazing and truly stunning units that are on a scale (5,500 sq. ft.+) unlike anything available in today’s real estate market. It is a remodel of remarkable scale and vision. Siamak Akhavan, managing partner of The Light House development and of the seismic specialists firm BMP, had planned to live in one of the units and is delighted with the results.
 
“We are really excited to begin the marketing of these truly unique condominiums.” said John Woodruff and Marcus Miller, the agent team bringing the townhomes to market. “Each will feature great rooms with 30-foot ceilings, several bedrooms, studies, lofts and 3 full baths and 2-car parking each. These breathtaking units are unlike anything available in San Francisco. As they get closer to completion we will release pictures and then start showings. Until then we thought we would share with the public what to expect. Please stay tuned on the website for ongoing updates.”
 
The units will be available for private showings starting late January or early February of 2016. For information about the properties, contact the Woodruff & Miller team at 415.321.4239 or
wm@hill-co.com. Or you can visit the property website at www.LightHouseOnDolores.com


          







 

AVAILABLE NOW!



 Thank you for your interest.  The first two units, 651 and 653 Dolores have been sold.
BUT, we are excited to announce that 93 Cumberland is available for sale as of Nov 1, 2016. 
 
 
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about this amazing property, showings, etc...
 
Or if you would like our help finding another incredible property of your own or selling one.  
We look forward to hearing from you.
 
John and Marcus

 

Contact

John Woodruff & Marcus Miller

The Woodruff & Miller TeamHill & CompanyCalBRE# 0952491 & 132948415.321.4329 office415.516.5760 mobile415.999.9827 directwm@hill-co.com www.Woodruff-Miller.com